Sunday, November 20, 2011

ABOUT ME AND MY PROJECT





My name is George. I am 9 years old. I live in Long Island, New York.


I am in an enrichment program called "Atlantis" at my school. I get to choose a project that I will work on. My research question is:

"How can you best apply advanced video game-making skills to create an original video game?"


I am using Gamemaker 8.1. My game is an adventure game.


This past summer I learned simple Gamemaker programming at LuHi Camp. I enjoyed it, so now I am doing it for school.


At school I kept changing the programming to see what would happen with the game. A couple things that happened were: when all the good guys were gone, the game glitched out. And, we couldn't "x" out of it. When that happened, I knew I did something wrong. So, I played with it some more. After that, there were only two bad guys in the game, and about 50 good guys. I automatically knew that I did something wrong! I played with it and added two more platforms -- a platform that makes you lose points and a platform that showed your high score. When I played and I hit the one that made you lose points, I knew something was wrong because the game automatically stopped. I kept playing with it and I kept failing with it. So I eventually deleted it.


Then I tested out the score block. And it worked! So, I played with the characters in the game. When I finished playing with them I hit the score block again and knew I programmed something wrong. It automatically ended the game. I changed the programming so when some of the players hit the score block, I would move on to the next level. It worked, though only a few could hit it. I fixed that bug and started to make levels.


As you can see, it took awhile to do this because nobody told me how to program these things, I had to do it myself.


So far, at home I have added the basic controls, lives for the player, one-ups, enemies that make you lose a life, platforms (sand), background sprites (clouds, trees, water), and a start room.


I will be updating this blog until my project is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment